Saturday, July 31, 2010

Escape to Asheville

Diane and I escaped the Texas heat for the cooler summer temps of Asheville, NC, to visit with Mom for several days. The highlight of the trip up there, for me at least, was that the Continental Express pilot had to go around on the landing, like a "do over". The landing gear was down, the plane was 500 feet off the ground, and suddenly we accelerated and began to climb. We passed over the airport, climbed higher, then turned and went around and tried again, and this time landed. When I have to go around on a landing in Bill's plane, it is because I am too high or too fast. When we finally got off the plane, I asked the pilot and he said it was because wind shear. So it wasn't his fault, and since we dodged storm clouds all the way into Asheville, wind shear made sense. But during the whole time I felt very comfortable, not the least bit nervous or scared.

Although the weather was unusually warm for Asheville (highs up to 85), we still spent time on the screened in porch and driving the Blue Ridge Parkway.
The first day I went with Mom to her water aerobics class.

Diane went along to take pictures, I rode on the back of the golf cart.
We had lunch out and went to see a movie that afternoon, Salt with Angelina Jolie. I liked it.
The next day we went to Mt. Mitchell, the highest peak east of the Mississippi River.
We ate at the restaurant there, and enjoyed the scenery from the observation tower. The air was much cooler there, at 6600 feet.
Another day, another lunch.
Diane and I caught the Class A Asheville Tourists' game one night. The young players are fun to watch and cheer on.
The flight home was uneventful, just a blast of Texas heat when we left the airport!

No comments:

Post a Comment